Grain Recipe: Classic Russian Buckwheat Kasha
(vegan or vegetarian
Perfect addition to side dishes recipes
1. Place cookware with buckwheat over medium heat
2. Mix buckwheat with egg; stir well – not vegetarian
3. Stir for 5-10 minutes
4. Add boiling water and salt, cover tightly, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about fifteen to twenty minutes or until buckwheat is ready (grains are tender). Drain the excess water (if not all absorbed)
5. Preheat the oven (350F), cover and cook in the oven for another 10 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and leave kasha in the oven until ready to
You can try instead of step 6: put the lid on tight,
cookware with kasha in a blanket and leave for 1 hour. You can serve kasha with warm milk. Put kasha in soup
bowls, pour milk in just to cover kasha, add sugar.
grain recipes representative.
Grains Fact: Since the beginning of the 20th century, grains have been used as a medium for food fortification. Whole grain products fortified with calcium, such as cereals, bread and frozen waffles, can be found on supermarket shelves. When using whole grain recipes look for fortified
ingredients to make the meal even more nutritious.
more about whole grain facts and recipes.
New Page 1